Monday, August 18, 2008

Our First Day of School 2008

Here we are--aren't we sweet?

No, wait a minute...here's what we REALLY look like...

Ok, what's up with my kids?? I actually have to take the "silly one" first in order to get the "nice one." Otherwise, it's just a lesson in frustration for all of us. Although the silly ones are fun to look at...


Today was our first official day of school--Hooray! The boys are in 3rd and 5th grade this year -- yikes! We are entering our 7th year of homeschooling (PreK-5th) and ready to go. I like to ease into the year with a few fun activities. We will add our more structured activities over the next week or two.


We spent the day making cookies, reading the Ballad of Mulan (and other Chinese tales) and learning a bit about China. We have all had a great time watching the Olympics, inspiring us to learn more about China. Tomorrow, we plan on watching Disney's Mulan (to compare with the story), practice a few Chinese characters, work on our math and reading programs and take a trip to the dentist (sorry kids, it's was the only day I could get an appt). We always try to take a field trip the first week (one of the many benefits of homeschooling) but with the budget being a bit tight, we're going to have to do a more local trip to PetSmart. N. is dying for a hamster--he just loves animals and does so well with our cat. He is currently working on his "30 day chart" to earn a hamster by cleaning his room with out complaining every day AND cleaning out the cat box. Tomorrow, we are going to check out the hamsters and possibly hold a few of them. If I were especially diligent, I would add a writing assignment to the field trip (Why hamsters make great pets?) but we'll see :-)

More later....

No comments: